Re: [libreplanet-discuss] rewards for crowdfunding Free Software project

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] rewards for crowdfunding Free Software projects
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:50:22 -0800

This whole issue is complex, and it relates to what we're trying to do
with Snowdrift.coop — we are making a system more specifically designed
for the challenges faced by free/libre/open projects.

Here's our run-down of why these reward-focused campaigns are ill-fit:
https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/threshold-systems

But anyway, we aren't operating yet (although we're working hard to get
there). We ran our own one-off drive and continue accepting regular
donations during our pre-launch phase. We did thanks, stickers,
sponsored-commits, shirts, that sort of thing. It's a lot of work and
hassle and we have to think of the whole thing as publicity value as
much as money because the costs and hassle of this type of fundraising
are substantial…

Cheers

--
Aaron Wolf