Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libre software for Berkeley, CA?

From: Nico Rikken
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libre software for Berkeley, CA?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:37:47 +0100

Hi Thomas,

I have no insights in endorsing free software to mid-sized US city officials, however I have tried convincing IT and non-IT managers in Dutch primary education, to favor free software over proprietary solutions.

Like Kees I've also been trying to get more FOSS adoption in The Netherlands. Just like Munich, adoption is very much dependent on personal preference of the (local) government, or of the appointed CIO. Also, having spoken with political parties, they remember that FOSS was a hot issue in the 2000's in The Netherlands, but as it isn't so hot of a topic any longer, they do not act on it.

I managed to convince a couple of parties to take on additional requirements when some software discussion was on the table. In this case some subproject website. That was low hanging fruit for both the political party, and the web developer. It was something like "served website should be based on open standards" and "website should have good accessibility features" (both required by law in The Netherlands, but regardless they were mentioned), and "open source software for hosting the website". I haven't taken the time to review the actual results, so certainly plan for some follow-up.

Some other interesting information: