Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Potential of the Sleepycat License

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Potential of the Sleepycat License
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:21:50 -0400

I'm enjoying this discussion; it is helping clarify my thoughts in the
matter. Please don't take my objections as anything more than a
personal opinion. As always, you are free to choose the license for
your code, and I am free to use your code as licensed, or not use it
at all.

You wrote:
> MIT license gives the user the same freedoms as the xGPL, however
> it is more relaxed

That's contradictory. Either it gives the same freedoms, or it is more
relaxed. Can't be both at the same time. If it is "more relaxed" I
understand that to mean that it does not enforce its license; so the
MIT license does not offer the user the same rigorous standing to
protect that users' freedoms.

Anyway, I am satisfied that the xGPL licenses meet my needs as both a
developer and a software user, and so I am unlikely to switch.

- --Bob.