Re: [libreplanet-discuss] joint merchandise production between projects

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] joint merchandise production between projects (t-shirts, stickers, Swiss army knives, ...)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 22:21:57 +0200

On 01/05/17 21:38, Markus Fischer wrote:

> Am 01.05.2017 um 21:02 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
>
>> I feel it is dangerous to mix too many different political causes with
>> free software.
>
> I feel it is dangerous not to care about our own economical decisions.
> Why should we care about the software we use then...

I didn't suggest "not to care", just that "too many" different causes
can be dangerous.

I agree that there should be some minimum standards, but even if you say
"no child labour", which sounds sensible, for example, it becomes
complicated because the children just go back to trawling through
rubbish dumps, a job that is far more dangerous than sewing together
t-shirts.  There are plenty of great forums online where we could
discuss the details further.

If you want to provide a concrete example of a minimum standard that can
be used that would be useful.

>> I would like to know that people were paid for the work they did to
>> produce the clothes I wear.  However, on the question of the rate their
>> employer pays them, if they agree to accept that salary and it is better
>> than any other salary offer in their region then is it really any of our
>> business to ask questions about it?
>
> I did not mention anything about the effective salaries paid. We should
> care about where and by whom this merchandising items are produced.
> Would you like to wear a shirt out of a production where sewers are hold
> like slaves to promote free software? And it is not about clothing in
> general, but clothing that is a statement itself.

My point was that people were freely agreeing to accept the salary, so
wouldn't that exclude slavery?

Would it be disturbing to overpay for things so that some workers who
took out excessively big mortgages and car loans can keep up their
western salaries while denying opportunities to workers in other countries?

> Why not to buy from small companies in several countries who really
> support the idea themselves -- and pay some swiss franc more...
> This would be far better, than concentrate on large scale effects like
> any other purchase manager at an international retail giant.

Did I ever exclude such possibilities?

Regards,

Daniel