Re: [libreplanet-discuss] OpenAg: Open Agriculture Initiative

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] OpenAg: Open Agriculture Initiative
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 13:20:31 +0200

Le 13 mai 2017 00:19:53 GMT+02:00, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> a écrit :
>On 12/05/17 04:32, Aaron E-J wrote:
>>
>> In terms of solving world hunger – this is not a technological
>problem
>> but a socio-political one.  We can produce many times the necessary
>> nutrients to sustain life using century's old technology plus crop
>> diversification.  Not that innovation in agriculture is a bad thing,
>but
>> let's not lose sight of the fact that the reason millions of people
>are
>> starving is because of politics and lack of educational and financial
>> resources.
>
>It has been pointed out elsewhere that if the world was a fair place,
>natural food supplies would feed all of humanity.
>
>The fact is, the world is not a fair place right now (as Mr Comey found
>out the hard way this week) and so we have to do the best we can.
>
>Caleb Harper's TED talk is titled "This computer will grow your food in
>the future" but I think that is also a bit over the top.  In reality,
>Australia and California grow far more food than they need for domestic
>consumption while countries like Saudi Arabia don't even have enough
>water to grow crops, let alone livestock.  Some countries will "need"
>this technology more than others.
>
>If there is a silver bullet to solve poverty, injustice and world
>hunger
>it may well be in the form of education.  Educating the poor so they
>can
>make better choices and educating the rich so they don't get suckered
>by
>people like Donald Trump and Nigel Farage.  Devices like the food
>computer can educate people and give them a sense of empowerment.  The
>entry-level food computer is unlikely to put food on your plate more
>than 3-4 times per month, but if it empowers people, it is not losing
>sight of the big picture.

(my English is bad, so...)

I think a good computer program on ~farming should include self-trading.

Not as stock-exchange works, because traders buyes then trades a "debt", as
nothing has been produced at time it is first buyed.

So, self-trading would include
* offerts, with a good description of goods * transport means offerts
(departure dates, circuitry, dock offerts), with selectable collection points
on both side, transitive (dock exchange / short track on both end points -
based only on fair time*penibility to maximise transport means [way back should
never be empty] )
* the shortest distance possible between consumer and producer
* substitute products proposed on search
* season products preference (who needs tomatoes during winter ? Having here a
not so old cookbook manual for singles which explain first *when* to cook
*what*)

There are here (France) collection points nameds "amap". You pay monthly, you
pick weekly a pre-filled basket, sometimes you would exchange some content with
a neighbor (or ask first what it is because you have even not an idea how to
cook it).  Another way :-)