Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How do you get a new desktop computer fitting

From: Félicien Pillot
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How do you get a new desktop computer fitting FSF LibrePlanet principles?...
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 18:06:10 +0200

Thank you Wes for these links, I didn't know about it.

Le Mon, 02 Oct 2017 15:39:33 -0400,
Wes Frazier <wes.frazier@members.fsf.org> a écrit :

> Their not certified RYF (for reasons that escape me) but several
> vendors who do RYF laptops have done desktops too at various times
> (depending on stock). Minifree has done so in the past (though their
> not offering one at the moment). Vikings.net has one at this link:
> https://store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/vikings-d16-workstation

Unfortunately, this is really not into my budget...

> Raptor Computing has some Talos PowerPC workstations their taking
> pre-orders for though the price is a little steep compared to x86.
> (Power 9 isn't cheap).
> https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

Unfortunately, this is really, completely, absolutely not into my
budget....

> Im personally waiting on an EOMA68-A20 with a Microdesktop and Laptop
> housing. Though my computing requirements are modest. Even so I will
> likely buy the next iteration of EOMA68 card quickly.

Yes, it really would be a good alternative, but when will it be
available ? In one year, two years ? Which hardware do we need aside
this card ? Is it powerful enough to become a home desktop computer,
running Plasma 5, Kodi, and such big applications ?

Does no one here has managed to buy a good freedom-respectful desktop
computer for less than 1200 $ ?

---
Félicien Pillot
2C7C ACC0 FBDB ADBA E7BC  50D9 043C D143 6C87 9372
felicien@gnu.org - felicien.pillot@riseup.net