Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GPL for physical object

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GPL for physical object
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 13:24:59 +0200

In France, that stuff, including design but not patents/anteriority, is handled
by the "Bureau des dessins et modèles".

As for patents, you must renew (and afford), but unlike patents that renew is
unlimited.

To protect worldwide, amount is just huge. And that's also an ethical problem
(how to allow licensing on a registered TM/design?).

So, if you want to protect a design, the best is to use a worldwide gratis
protection mechanism : copyright. A photography is a bidimentionnal object, a
sculpture a tridimentionnal one.

Even buildings or edges are automatically protected by copyright (architecture
is an art). And that's gratis.

So, simply use CC-By-SA licence (not "NC", because that costs to produce and
distribute physical object) for design, and GPLv3 for technical characteristics
written as "a program" (or several programs : one per function or group of
function (as program libraries), and one for the whole functions.

Unfortunately, you cannot restrict by linking the two. That restriction would
be on physical design, so Creative Commons could help by writing a licence
"Share alike / enforced to Free Software". They own their licences :-)

--
Envoyé de mon appareil Android avec Courriel K-9 Mail. Veuillez excuser ma
brièveté.