Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mixing floss and politics

From: Nicolás Ortega Froysa
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mixing floss and politics
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 11:34:31 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 08:49:54PM -0400, Taiidan@gmx.com wrote:
> On 08/30/2018 07:10 PM, Danny Spitzberg wrote:
> > For today's focus,
> > https://twitter.com/jamiebuilds/status/1034594832876879872 and the replies.
> > Discuss!
>
> Oh great yet another arena of my life that politics is leaking in.
>
> Of all the moral issues those companies have she picked working with ICE
> as the straw that broke the camels back?

Now, I'm not going to get involved in the whole ICE thing (especially
since this mailing list is not the appropriate place to do so), but I
will say that this isn't a big deal. You see, the change is being made
to an attributive license, which means all someone has to do is host a
mirror of the repo, but with a different license. Also, I'm not sure
that the ICE is gonna stop using this software (if they even were to
begin with) simply because it has this little snippet prepended to it.
Would it be illegal? Maybe, I don't know. Would they continue to use it
unsuspectingly anyways? Yup.

Also, I'm not sure if saying that something can only be used by a
specific audience can be considered a free software license. To me it
feels like this violates freedoms 0 and 2.

One final note, this change has been reverted.[0] It took them maybe a
day to change their minds.

[0] https://github.com/lerna/lerna/pull/1633

--
Nicolás Ortega Froysa