Re: The Imperative of Free Software

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: The Imperative of Free Software
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:27:55 -0700

I appreciated the original message and find it relevant.

Software freedom is fundamentally about power, it's not just a manner of software development. The concern about power is intimately tied to wealth in society today.

Nobody gets to be billionaire, ultra-wealthy by actually producing a corresponding net increase in well-being in the world (compared to if they had not done whatever actions got them so wealthy). That level of wealth *only* comes from exploitation, from taking a *disproportionate* share of productive output or even from capturing wealth without even producing value.

The tie-in to software freedom is that a notable portion of the wealthiest and most powerful people today gained and maintain their position via proprietary software. Some of it is indirect as in people whose main activity is in investing and other financial games.

Yes, there are other non-software-related situations with wealth and power as well, and the dynamics were around long before computers.

The thing is, today much of the way power gets expressed is through technology. For example, consider the proprietary software (even when built upon free software) that runs tractors, cars, factories, and so on. Governments, schools, and private businesses use proprietary software in their basic operations. This setup gives proprietary software companies huge power and profit. To change the power dynamics, to empower the general public, software freedom is essential.

Wealth is not evil (and nobody here said so), but extreme wealth *inequity* is a situation that undermines freedoms, and being concerned about it goes along with the same basic ethic that motives software freedom in particular. The sorts of wealth that are widely shared are wonderful, and free software is one example of such wealth.

- Aaron