Multi-lingual libtool and Sun Workshop 5

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Multi-lingual libtool and Sun Workshop 5
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:26:58 -0500 (CDT)

I am seeing some strange problems when compiling *some* C++ programs
using the C++ compiler from Sun Workshop 5.  I have six or eight
simple one-source-file programs built in a given directory, and all
compile/link except for one.  The linker fails with an error like

ild: (bad file) argument file doesn't exist ::
.libs/SunWS_cache/CC_obj_2/2yi5kEpmEtUw_3Zz13e2.o

I notice that this file is available as
SunWS_cache/CC_obj_2/2yi5kEpmEtUw_3Zz13e2.o

by playing the trick

mkdir SunWS_cache; mkdir .libs; cd .libs; ln -s ../SunWS_cache .; cd ..
make

all of the programs then compile and run.

While I don't see any significant coding difference between the
various programs (it may be that the ones which fail are less
template-heavy), something about the program is causing the template
instantiation to be written to the wrong place.  Libtool is obviously
involved given the .libs offset.

Has anyone seen this before?  Is there a fix or workaround?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden