RE: Libtool and Pkg-Config

From: Bernard Dautrevaux
Subject: RE: Libtool and Pkg-Config
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:48:54 +0200

Hi all,

Excuse me if I jump into this conversation having possibly missed an
important point, but this (and another thread about removing duplicates -l
flags) remember of a problem I've had some time ago about ordering object
files in libraries on a systems wheer there weer no 'ranlib' or equivalent.

A necessary (and sufficient AFAICT) condition would be that, given the fact
that libtool remember library dependencies, one use a tsort-like tool to
topologically sort all the libraries, while detecting loops in the
dependencies, and emitting every loop twice. Note that for non-libtool libs
one can consider the user-provided order as a dependency-correct order
before sorting; the only problem could be some spurious cycles between some
system libraries, but we will anyway eliminate most of the redundant
libraries.

I've done that several years ago (I could probably find the modified tsort
source code I was using if someone is interested) and it worked perfectly,
until it was no more useful :-)

Just thinking loud a bit ;-)

Regards,

        Bernard

PS: If libtool already do something like that please don't flame me on the
"why don't you look at the code before stating the obvious" line :-) I'm not
so familiar with the internals of libtool, just VERY HAPPY to see that it
usually "just work" when I need to port or adapt some libtoolized package...

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE