Re: F77 tag, and default tags in 1.4b?

From: Erik Lindahl
Subject: Re: F77 tag, and default tags in 1.4b?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:48:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Robert Boehne wrote:

> I personally can't guess why you wouldn't get a CXX tag without
> looking at your mods.  I'll look at it if you post (or send me)
> your patch.  I'm about to make some modifications to improve
> tag support so it would be better to get your patch in before
> that happens.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the offer :-)

I've put a patched version of libtool.m4 (and a patch vs. CVS 1.194)
at http://www.theophys.kth.se/~erik/libtool/

(Maybe best to postpone the posting until we know it's ok...)

It was fairly easy to get the fortran support working:

1. Since fortran compilers are picky about formatting, I had to
   change echo to printf for all testing code snippets. This also means
   I had to suffix the other language strings with \n.

2. Some f77 compilers (e.g. IBMs xlf) don't accept -DPIC, so I've
   removed that flag when testing for -fPIC, and perform a separate
   test for it afterwards instead.

3. Everything else is basically just copied from the C or C++ tags;
   I don't think we'll need anything more - the linking stage is
   identical to C as far as I know. It even works to mix fortran and
   C objects in a library without using temporary convenience
   libraries.

Perhaps you misunderstood my question - the only "problem" is that
the configuration always appends all tags, which is quite unnecessary
in most cases. Even if you deselect languages with --with-tags= ,
the CXX tag is always appended.

I do realize that this might be a good thing(TM) when creating
a libtool for installation, but in autoconf scripts it should only
create tags for the languages we are using, shouldn't it?

Ah, well, I've tried to track it down, but being an M4 novice it's
not entirely trivial ;-) Maybe we need two functions, one setup
for the main libtool installation on the system, and one to be
called from autoconf scripts...

Cheers,

Erik
Erik Lindahl, PhD                                address@hidden
Dept. Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen University, THE NETHERLANDS
Phone: +31 50 3634335    Fax: +31 50 3634800
(You can also reach me as address@hidden and address@hidden)
Hi! I'm a mutated .sig virus! Put me in ~/.signature to multiply me!