Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler

From: Bill Wendling
Subject: Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:24:28 -0500

Also sprach address@hidden:
} I have not seen a problem like that before.  But I don't think
} libtool should be issuing link flags during the compile operation.
}
The machine is an unusual machine in a number of ways. I'm not surprised
you haven't heard about problems with it :-).

libtool is putting those flags in there during the linking portion (we
create an executable which is then run by the "make" process. This
executable then creates another file with values specific to that
machine. Etc.).

} I would try one of the newer versions of libtool. Version 1.4 has
} many fixes for AIX, and we have a version of 1.3.5 at
} http://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/index.html
} that also includes many of the same changes.
}
I've looked at the code in the new libtool 1.4. (That is the libtool.m4
which is distributed with the RPM package and placed in the
/usr/share/aclocal/directory). It's still using the "nolibpath" flags,
but there's extra code around it.

>From what I can understand of the code, if the machine isn't IA64 or
doing run-time linking, then the flags are placed there reguardless. Do
you think I should try it with run-time linking enabled? If so, how do I
do that? Is the "-brtl" flag enough to cause this to happen?

Thank you.