Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler

From: mcnichol
Subject: Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:03:36 -0500

> From address@hidden Thu Jul 19 22:49:20 2001

> Our signals were crossed.  In the first paragraph I was indeed wondering
> about the later -Wl,-blibpath,$libdir:/usr/lib:/lib completely overriding
> the earlier -nolibpath, but I was hypothesizing that there must be (or must
> have been) some need for it.

I finished checking this on AIX 4.3.3.  The -blibpath and -bnolibpath
do override each other (the last one wins).  So it looks like the
-bnolibpath flag has never done anything useful, as it has always come
before -blibpath.  It could be safely removed if it hasn't already.

> After the sentence that starts with "In addition", I'm wondering about
> the *other* "override" -- there are two instances of an _LT_AC_TAGVAR for
> hardcode_libdir_flag_spec.  My guess is the first one of those is getting
> overriden.  That's what I was asking about in the last question.

Is this really a problem?  I think part of what may have been clipped is
if then else.  However (on AIX Power) it looks like they can be the same
for regular AIX linking and run-time-linking so it can be set once
outside of the "if" statement.

Dan