Re: crossgcc mingw32 dll FAQ

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: crossgcc mingw32 dll FAQ
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:29:58 +0100

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:29:45PM +0200, Guido Draheim wrote:
> Q: where can I get a nice mingw32 crosscompiler
> A: [...]
>    There are a lot of infos how to compile a set of gcc/binutils but
>    they are often outdated just as their prepackaged tools are - they
>    have been in use by just one person alone, and they posted their
>    tools to the net for reusage. After they got no feedback, it withered.

Having tried many of these I agree.  Additionally a lot of them are egcs
versions, which are a poor choice for C++ development (more recent g++
versions are a lot closer to fully supporting the ISO standard).

>    The current best source for a linux-based mingw32 crosscompiler
>    lives at http://libsdl.org/Xmingw32 - this compiler is in frequent
>    use for multiple dozen projects, so it has most of the initial
>    compile bugs clean out. It has correct gcc, binutils and windows-headers
>    and offers also prebuilt cross-packages for commonly used libs

I've used this version with success myself.  I can also recommend the debian
mingw32 package (or at least the version in unstable which is what I
currently use).

Cheers,
Olly