Re: libtool RFE

From: libtool
Subject: Re: libtool RFE
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:05:17 -0500

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:14:42PM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> It seems I need to be able to build both 32 and 64 bit
> libraries.  Since nobody seems to have anything to do,
> maybe we can add this to our copious spare time activities:
>
> Construction of multiple output libraries based on more
> than just the -PIC compiler flags.  viz., the
> ``-xarch=v9 -xregs=no%appl,no%float'' variation on Sun.
>
> Since I have not taken a serious look at how you manage
> the build-with-PIC vs. build-without-PIC stuff, how hard
> would anyone guess it might be to put together a list
> of compile options and associated target library names,
> then going through all the compiles to build libraries
> one after the other?  Can I do it over lunch?  ;-)
> Probably not.  :-(

What? Are you talking about building *both* 32 and 64-bit libraries at
once. How do you handle naming the library? What directory do they get
installed in. For now, I say no. Build the 32-bit libs and install,
then the 64-bit libs and install (into separate locations). Are you
aware of any OS that supports 32 and 64-bit libraries in the same
directory? I know Solaris and AIX don't do this.

And, if you're going to *link* a program against the library you've
created, do you then generate both 32 and 64-bit versions as well?

--
albert chin (address@hidden)