Re: confusion with host,build,target

From: stefan
Subject: Re: confusion with host,build,target
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:55:12 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Guido Draheim wrote:

> > > I am just out the door (sat night), please use the following macro until
> > > we can sort things out for a better way:
> > >
> > > http://ac-archive.SF.net/guidod/patch_libtool_to_add_host_cc.html
> >
> > This macros look reasonable for me.  Actually I implicitely asked for this
> > being fixed in libtool itself.
> >
> > Thanks for your quick response,
>
> My personal judgement - the problem is not in libtool but dlltool - we only
> need the host_cc setting to compile an impgen program but actually the
> dlltool should be enabled to examine a dll (via binutils) and build an
> export table for it - we do already use the crosscompiler to build an
> implib from it that can be bound to new .exe/.dll programs that make use
> of a windows dll.

I see; partly.  It means it would be better to drop the `impgen.c' source
code from libtool if dlltool could make the work.  Is this correct?
Then for native build and cross-compiling the problem would be solved.

> The real problem is - go to the binutils list and do all
> the communications so that "someone who knows binutils and dll format" (!!)
> will finally make an extension to have an "dlltool -Z" made ready for
> libtool. It might not be easy to find that someone - so possibly make more
> communications so that the little impgen.c (hacked)script gets added anyway
> and therefore gets installed with the next crossgcc-binutils package. If
> it gets installed with the crossgcc, no need to look for a native compiler
> when libtool runs...
> do you volunteer for job ? -> ;-) ... 'cause I don't have the time... :-/

Maybe the one who hacked this little program is more competent for this?
On the other hand I could go and ask myself, questioning does not hurt.
But I would not be able to give advice for improvements, etc.

Cheers,
        address@hidden