Re: libtool and gcj

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: libtool and gcj
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 02:57:22 -0600

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 08:08:53AM -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> I've been using a hacked version of libtool to build shared libraries of
> java code in with gcj.  The one problem I had to work around is that
> libtool insists on adding "-DPIC" to the compilation line.  gcj's -D is
> different from gcc and g++.  My hack is to simply strip out the "-D".
> However - now my tree contains a mix of java and c code and I need to
> use -DPIC with gcc.
>
> How do we change libtool to only use -DPIC where appropriate?

This gets added by libtool.m4 here (line 4311):
case "$host_os" in
  # For platforms which do not support PIC, -DPIC is meaningless:
  *djgpp*)
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)=
    ;;
  *)
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic,
$1)="$_LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1) -DPIC"
    ;;
esac

This seems quite wrong. Why do we assume the compiler will grok -DPIC?
Why isn't this handled in the tag-specific and os-specific portions of
libtool.m4? If the tag/os combo says -KPIC is needed, why do we -KPIC
-DPIC?

--
albert chin (address@hidden)