No-op changes for ltmain.in

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: No-op changes for ltmain.in
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 12:30:48 -0800

Hi,

Tom Lord's email triggered the desire to resync my
binary-branch.  In the interests of trying to minimize
HEAD vs b-b differences, I would like to make the attached
change to ltmain.in.  It should make it easier to resync
next time.  The diff ignores white space since it was very
hard to reproduce the white space exactly.  The bulk of the
diff stems from the fact that I created macro routines to
perform a couple of standard functions:
1.  test successfully or exit 1 from the script
2.  share-to-static-warn, viz.,
    (Warning: Trying to link with static lib...)
The full version can be generated from today's binary-branch
by ``cd-ing'' into the exe subdir and typing, "make".  The
result will be in "newltmain.in".

--

Bruce Korb
AG URL: http://autogen.sourceforge.net
> # Massively rewritten by Bruce Korb <address@hidden>
62a72,75

> # Global variables.
> lo2o="s/\\.lo\$/.${objext}/"
> o2lo="s/\\.${objext}\$/.lo/"
105,106d117
< lo2o="s/\\.lo\$/.${objext}/"
< o2lo="s/\\.${objext}\$/.lo/"
355c366
<       if test "$user_target" != "no"; then
---
> if (test "$user_target" != "no") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
529,531c540,542
<       if test -z "$tagname"; then
<         echo "$modename: unable to infer tagged configuration"
<         echo "$modename: specify a tag with \`--tag'" 1>&2
---
> if (test -z "$tagname") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
>   $echo "$modename: unable to infer tagged configuration
> $modename: specify a tag with \`--tag'" 1>&2
533,534d543
< #        else
< #          echo "$modename: using $tagname tagged configuration"
535a545
> #        echo "$modename: using $tagname tagged configuration"
548,549c558
<
<     if test -z "$base_compile"; then
---
> if (test -z "$base_compile") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
597c606
<       if test -f "$lockfile"; then
---
> if (test -f "$lockfile") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
602,607c611,618
< This indicates that another process is trying to use the same
< temporary object file, and libtool could not work around it because
< your compiler does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you
< repeat this compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better
< avoid parallel builds (make -j) in this platform, or get a better
< compiler."
---
> but it should contain:
>   $srcfile
>
> This indicates that another process is trying to use the same temporary
> object file, and libtool could not work around it because your compiler
> does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you repeat this
> compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better avoid parallel
> builds (make -j) on this platform, or get another compiler."
671c682
< *** ERROR, $lockfile contains:
---
> *** ERROR, $lockfile exists and contains:
677,682c688,692
< This indicates that another process is trying to use the same
< temporary object file, and libtool could not work around it because
< your compiler does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you
< repeat this compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better
< avoid parallel builds (make -j) in this platform, or get a better
< compiler."
---
> This indicates that another process is trying to use the same temporary
> object file, and libtool could not work around it because your compiler
> does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you repeat this
> compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better avoid parallel
> builds (make -j) on this platform, or get another compiler."
741c751
< *** ERROR, $lockfile contains:
---
> *** ERROR, $lockfile exists and contains:
747,752c757,761
< This indicates that another process is trying to use the same
< temporary object file, and libtool could not work around it because
< your compiler does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you
< repeat this compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better
< avoid parallel builds (make -j) in this platform, or get a better
< compiler."
---
> This indicates that another process is trying to use the same temporary
> object file, and libtool could not work around it because your compiler
> does not support \`-c' and \`-o' together.  If you repeat this
> compilation, it may succeed, by chance, but you had better avoid parallel
> builds (make -j) on this platform, or get another compiler."
1578,1580c1587,1590
<       if test -z "$tagname"; then
<         echo "$modename: unable to infer tagged configuration"
<         echo "$modename: specify a tag with \`--tag'" 1>&2
---
> if (test -z "$tagname") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
>   $echo "$modename: unable to infer tagged configuration
> $modename: specify a tag with `--tag'" 1>&2
>   $echo "$help" 1>&2
1582,1583d1591
< #       else
< #         echo "$modename: using $tagname tagged configuration"
1584a1593
> #         echo "$modename: using $tagname tagged configuration"
1799,1805c1808,1814
<             echo
<             echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive
$deplib."
<             echo "*** I have the capability to make that library
automatically link in when"
<             echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if
you have a"
<             echo "*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear
to have"
<             echo "*** because the file extensions .$libext of this argument
makes me believe"
<             echo "*** that it is just a static archive that I should not used
here."
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $deplib."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $deplib.  You do not appear to have one."
>   $echo "*** The file extension .$libext for this argument implies
> *** that it is a static archive that should not be used here."
> ) 1>&2
2290,2294c2299,2303
<           echo
<           echo "*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
$lib."
<           echo "*** I have the capability to make that library automatically
link in when"
<           echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you
have a"
<           echo "*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to
have."
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $lib."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $lib.  You do not appear to have one."
> ) 1>&2
2910,2916c2919,2923
<                 echo
<                 echo "*** Warning: dynamic linker does not accept needed
library $i."
<                 echo "*** I have the capability to make that library
automatically link in when"
<                 echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this
if you have a"
<                 echo "*** shared version of the library, which I believe you
do not have"
<                 echo "*** because a test_compile did reveal that the linker
did not use it for"
<                 echo "*** its dynamic dependency list that programs get
resolved with at runtime."
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $i."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $i.  You do not appear to have one."
> ) 1>&2
2942,2948c2949,2953
<                   echo
<                   echo "*** Warning: dynamic linker does not accept needed
library $i."
<                   echo "*** I have the capability to make that library
automatically link in when"
<                   echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this
if you have a"
<                   echo "*** shared version of the library, which you do not
appear to have"
<                   echo "*** because a test_compile did reveal that the linker
did not use this one"
<                   echo "*** as a dynamic dependency that programs can get
resolved with at runtime."
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $i."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $i.  You do not appear to have one."
> ) 1>&2
3004,3009c3009,3013
<               echo
<               echo "*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for
library $a_deplib."
<               echo "*** I have the capability to make that library
automatically link in when"
<               echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if
you have a"
<               echo "*** shared version of the library, which you do not
appear to have"
<               echo "*** because I did check the linker path looking for a
file starting"
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $a_deplib."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $a_deplib.  You do not appear to have one."
> ) 1>&2
3046,3051c3050,3054
<               echo
<               echo "*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for
library $a_deplib."
<               echo "*** I have the capability to make that library
automatically link in when"
<               echo "*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if
you have a"
<               echo "*** shared version of the library, which you do not
appear to have"
<               echo "*** because I did check the linker path looking for a
file starting"
---
> ( echo "*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive $a_deplib."
>   echo "*** I have the capability to link that library automatically when"
>   echo "*** you link to this library, but only if you have a shared"
>   echo "*** version of $a_deplib.  You do not appear to have one."
> ) 1>&2
5014c5017,5018
<     if test -z "$cmd"; then
---

> if (test -z "$cmd") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
5016c5020
<       $echo "$help"
---
>   $echo "$help" 1>&2
5019d5022
<
5022c5025
<       if test ! -f "$file"; then
---
> if (test ! -f "$file") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
5058,5060c5061
<
<       if test -f "$dir/$objdir/$dlname"; then
<         dir="$dir/$objdir"
---
> if (test -f "$dir/$objdir/$dlname") > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then  :
5062a5064
>   $echo "$help" 1>&2
5064a5067