MacOSX and autoconf/automake/libtool

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: MacOSX and autoconf/automake/libtool
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:27:26 +1000

Hi People,

I am the author of an LGPL library which is supposed to run on
Unix, Win32, MacOS and others. While a do have access to two
different Unixen, I do not have access to Win32 or more
importantly MacOS.

I also run Debian and since upgrading to their Woody release
(libtool went from 1.3 to 1.4) I have been unable to generate
tarballs which compile on the latest release of MacOSX.

It seems that libtool is not setting the right compiler flags.

I am currently using:

   autoconf 2.13 (have also tried 2.53)
   automake 1.5  (have also tried 1.4)
   libtool 1.4.2a

It seems that there is some stuff about libtool and MacOSX here:

    http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/libtool.php

Can anybody offer any advice on how to generate a tarball that will
compile correctly on MacOSX?

Regards,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
"Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer. I can't
imagine something that could be worse than this for the software
business and the intellectual-property business."
 -- Jim Allchin, Microsoft