Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:23:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Brett H. Williams wrote:

> On Aug 27, Boehne, Robert wrote:
> So the assumption is that $CC = $CXX when using C++?  This is not always true.
> While for the simple project in question it _could_ be, this seems a blatant
> misuse of $CC.  Otherwise, why have $CXX at all?

What he said was that the value of CC in the libtool script is
*temporary* changed to be the same as CXX.  It is changed back later.

> Plus, autoconf makes those distinctions for me (and most people that use
> libtool are using autoconf, aren't they?).

Yes, but once libtool is installed, autoconf is not necessary.

> As far as submitting a patch to m4, I assumed it would always be rejected
> since
> C++ support is unofficial.  Plus, the compiler is GCC which surely is
> supported.

CVS libtool supports C++.

> The question is mostly moot as I can't move more complex projects to libtool
> due to the fact that it always compiles source files twice.  When using the
> STL

Building shared or static libraries is a libtool option.  You have
control over how many times it compiles source files.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden