Re: Libtool 1.4.3

From: Sascha Schumann
Subject: Re: Libtool 1.4.3
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:20:47 +0200 (CEST)

    [Cc trimmed]

> That's because it does provide a better service too :(  I have timed a
> lot of the code, and I can tell that we're hitting a M4 limitation
> here.  Hopefully future version of GNU M4 will help.

    In the mean time, we are happy to pursue our use of
    autoconf 2.13.

> Sascha> and contains a dependency-ignorant cache system.
>
> What do you mean?

    Each of PHP's bundled extensions has a config.m4 which can be
    maintained separately.  Autoconf 2.50 and later insert stale
    code into configure, when such a config.m4 file changes.

    These files are sourced using

    esyscmd(./scripts/config-stubs ext)

    The shell script prints out an sinclude() line for each
    existing config.m4 in a particular sub-directory (e.g.
    ext/mysql, ext/session).  Apparently, autoconf/autom4te does
    not keep track of the time stamp of each sourced file which
    then causes the described issue.

    Oh, btw, has autoconf 2.5x stopped to generate empty "case..esac"
    constructs?  FreeBSD's /bin/sh bombed out on that, and it
    violated POSIX.

    - Sascha