Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:10:11 -0500

Benjamin,

If we added support for library namespace, all of the
Darwin developers would start developing software with
Libtool that used it, and therefore wouldn't link on
other systems, correct?  I'm not claiming I have ever
seen a Mac running X+ so you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.
  Libtool's philosophy is mostly to provide the common
subset of linker/loader/compiler features, and to specifically
NOT support features that aren't available elsewhere.  Now,
this isn't always the case, but if you wanted to add support
for library namespaces for other platforms *IN_Libtool*
then it would be reasonable, but more work.  I doubt that
is possible anyway.

HTH,

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center