cross-compiling several dependent libraries

From: Jan Weil
Subject: cross-compiling several dependent libraries
Date: 18 Nov 2002 18:09:18 +0100

Hi all,

I am confronted with a problem which is already known.
But I didn't find a solution yet.

BTW, is there a way to _search_ the GNU mailing-list archives?

I found exactly the same problem described here:
http://www.linuxsh.st.com/getting_started/gtk2_cross_compile.php3#glib_target

I'm using autoconf 2.53, automake 1.5 and libtool 1.4.2a.

I'd like to cross-compile (arm-linux) several packages a, b... which
depend on library x.

cross-compiling x is no problem.

Package a, b... depend on x. So there is a AC_CHECK_LIB(x, func,,,) in
configure.ac.

When I start configure with --build=i686 --host=arm-linux
--exec-prefix=somewhere
the cross-compiling mode is activated and libx is found by
arm-linux-gcc.
OK.
But when it's time to relink .libs/liba.so.0.0.0 arm-gcc-linux is told
to link with /usr/local/lib/libx.so which obviously is the pc version.

arm-gcc-linux understandably refuses to link...

This is a libtool bug, right?

Am I missing anything?
Does a newer version of libtool fix this bug?

BW,

Jan

--
Jan Weil                        Fraunhofer
weil at hhi dot de              Institut Nachrichtentechnik