Re: self contained library

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: Re: self contained library
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:08:19 +0000 (GMT)

Today, Ricardo Fabbri wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>
>> Do you mean by "self-contained" that it should even contain the C library
>> functions it uses?
>>

>I don't want the C library and system libraries to be in the "self-contained"
>library.  I will require the user to have libc6, for example.  What I do not
>want is non-programmers having to install or compile a whole list of not very
>common dependencies (which is numerous for my project).

Why not just build a tarball of all the dependencies - at least that way
you don't have to worry about building a .a from PIC objects and building
one big .so from it.

You also don't have to worry about future comaptibility - just because it
works now doesn't mean it always will...

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"

Why reinvent the wheel? . . . . . . . . . Because we can make it rounder...