Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:36:16 -0500

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:58:14AM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Albert Chin wrote:
> > >
> > > AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS([c c++])
> > > AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> >
> > This means we'd have to get rid of --with-tags. As it's not
> > documented, I'm for this. If someone specifies AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS, and
> > say C++ isn't specified, I don't want AC_PROG_CXX dragged in.
>
> I am also in favor of either getting rid of --with-tags, or supporting
> it via a configure.ac macro that the package author needs to add.
> Currently libtool adds a --with-tags option to the configure script
> for each package which uses it.  This is confusing to package users
> since there is no context associated with the option:
>
>   --with-tags[=TAGS]
>                           include additional configurations [automatic]
>
> An option like
>
>   --with-libtool-languages[=languages]
>
> would be clearer for an end user.  However, I would also contend that
> end-users should have no need to be aware that a package uses libtool.

I think --with-libtool-languages and AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS are mutually
exclusive. For example:
  AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS([C])
  AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

and then --with-libtool-languages="C++" is useless because the C++
glue code won't be in configure. --with-libtool-languages means that
every tag has to be present in configure. Ick. Ditch --with-tags!

--
albert chin (address@hidden)