Fixing command line limits (Was: Re: Fixing Re: Is libtool being maintai

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Fixing command line limits (Was: Re: Fixing Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:43:37 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Your patch looks fine.

Yay, my first libtool patch ;)

The proper way to fix it could be to do a binary search over multiples
of 2 instead of the linear search emplyed now. Use a resonable minamal
value like 2**13, which leaves only a few options between 2**13 and
2**17, which is the current upper limit for the test. Starting with
2**15, you only need three tests to figure out the maximal command line
length, instead of 17. How does that sound?

That sounds great.  Please submit a tested patch against the CVS
version.  Then we can (hopefully) avoid adding specific workarounds
for slow machines or broken environments.

There is only one problem: my shell (or m4? whatever language libtool.m4 is written in) scripting skills are nowhere as good as my Java or C skills. So I assume that someone who knows what they are doing in m4 could write it better faster ;) I could provide testing on such slow platforms.

If noone else volunteers to do it, though, then I'll give it a try.

cheers,
dalibor topic