Re: Building .so files only.

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: Building .so files only.
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 2003-08-29T14:14+1000, Tom Howard wrote:
) On Thursday 28 August 2003 16:08, Schleicher Ralph (LLI) wrote:
) > > So by patching my libtool I should be able to put the -shared flag in my
) > > AM_LDFLAGS for the Makefile.am and only get the shared.so file right?
) > Yes, but it makes sense adding it to CFLAGS, too.
) Sorry if I'm being dense, but (after reading the referenced messages) I don't
) understand why using the -shared flag will only produce the a .so file.
) Won't it still produce a .so.X, .so.X.X.X and .la files as well?  Or have I
) misunderstood the original question and Stephen is simply trying to prevent
) the .a file from being created?

To produce only .la and .so files, you can pass -module -avoid-version to
libtool. In Automake, you can do this by using something similar to:

pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = mymod.la
mymod_la_SOURCES = mymod.c

mymod_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version

This also removes the requirement that the library name start with "lib."

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://naim-users.org/nmlorg/
http://naim.n.ml.org/