Re: problems statically linking thirdparty libs and dynamically linking

From: Joerg Faschingbauer
Subject: Re: problems statically linking thirdparty libs and dynamically linking glibc
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:03:12 +0200 (CEST)

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Baus <address@hidden> writes:

Christopher> Ok so now I want a static std c++ lib, static thirdparty libs, and
dynamic
Christopher> glibc.  Passing -static to libtool seemed to do nothing.  So, I am
now
Christopher> passing -Wl, -static to libtool.  I now get the following strange
error:

Christopher> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

Christopher> hmm ok

Christopher> find /usr/ -name *libgcc_s*
Christopher> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so
Christopher> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libgcc_s.so

Christopher> Seems to be there.

Christopher> I've seen it mentioned that this is a bug in g++.  Is that true?
I am at
Christopher> my wits end here.  Any suggestions?

I use to solve the "C++ and shared libraries" problem by building my
own gcc with the --disable-shared configure option. I don't know how
you are going to link in libxml2 etc statically, but I'm confident
that you can solve that problem by building your custom static-only
versions of these libs as well.

Joerg