Re: cvs build prob

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: cvs build prob
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:27:44 +0100

Hi Patrick,

Good catch!  I'm CCing the autoconf list, as this is probably a candidate for
AS_SHELL_SANITIZE, and the comparative shellology documentation...

Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 04:07:14PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
>>The great part is this is a ksh quoting problem:
>>Oh joy... (ksh version @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2)
>

> .. and it is explained in TFM:
>
>        The following is a list of things that are affected by the state of the
>        posix option:
>          o    \"  inside  double  quoted  `..` command substitutions: in posix
>               mode, the \" is interpreted when the command is interpreted;  in
>               non-posix  mode,  the  backslash  is stripped before the command
>               substitution is interpreted.  For example, echo "`echo  \"hi\"`"
>               produces `"hi"' in posix mode, `hi' in non-posix mode.  To avoid
>               problems, use the $(...)  form of command substitution.
>
> So what now for the libtool point of view?

At least until AS_SHELL_SANITIZE handles this, libtool needs to find a
workaround.

> - I still wonder why ksh is chosen over sh on my NetBSD system.

ksh has function support for one thing, and maybe $LINENO support.

> - Should we "use the $(...)  form of command substitution" "To avoid
> problems"?

We can't use $(...) indiscriminately, as plenty of ancient bourne compatible
shells will choke on it :-(

> Reminder of the miscreant line:
>
>   output_verbose_link_cmd="`$echo \"X$output_verbose_link_cmd\" | $Xsed -e
> \"$no_glob_subst\"`"
>
> (setting set +o posix in configure for the benefit of ksh fixes things too.)

Does ksh have a way to detect itself programatically so that libtool can add
something of the form:

   test -z "$KSH_VERSION" || set +o posix

Cheers,
        Gary.