Re: Libtool 1.5.8 problems on OSX: ${wl} evaluation [#9382]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Libtool 1.5.8 problems on OSX: ${wl} evaluation [#9382]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:35:58 +0100

Hi Peter,

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Isn't the problem report -Wl,suppress vs suppress, rather than the wonky
${wl} in the $show?

I don't know. I awoke this morning fully convinced it was Friday (turned out to be Wednesday), so I may have misread :-).

Odd that, Val (my partner) did the exact same thing. Although her finals begin tomorrow, so she is kinda preoccupied right now :-)

However, it worked for me just now when I tried it from the command line:

Did you also try with 1.5.10 (and maybe 1.5.8 against which the bug was
reported)?  It may be that your recent twiddling with the darwin port on
branch-2-0 has fixed it for recent libtools, but we should check that we
can reproduce it to make sure we understand the problem fully before closing it as fixed in CVS...

peter% g++ -dynamiclib -single_module -Wl,-flat_namespace -Wl,-undefined -Wl,suppress -o .libs/libbaz.0.0.0.dylib .libs/baz.o .libs/libbaz.lax/libfoo.a/foo.o -install_name /Users/peter/libtool-1.5.10/tests/_inst/lib/libbaz.0.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,1 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,1.0
peter%

Don, George: On what release of OS X did you find this bug? What value of MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET (if any) was set in the environment?

Ah, yes I have seen this too, now that you explain it. We need to figure out which $show is responsible, and make it into an eval $show...

It seems to be all over the place. When I moved things around so that we could build things in a directory containing a ~ I changed the way things were eval'ed for pretty much all the cmds. I guess I should do an eval $show anywhere I see a $show before a "$run eval"?

Yes, that sounds like a good first cut.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--