Building all static

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Building all static
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:39:44 -0800

Sorry for the cross post, not sure which is the correct list.

My project builds a library and then builds a binary and links to that
library.  Someone has asked how to build a completely static binary.

I have been through this before.  I have a post[1] from May where I
discuss building our project statically.

This has come up again and I'm wondering if I'm giving correct
information on that post.

I have a few questions:

1) The configure option --disable-shared works at linking our binary
with our library statically, but still links the binary dynamically
with other libraries.  I assume that's correct behavior.  What does
the --enable-static option do (or suppose to do)?  It seems to have no
effect when I use it.

2) Is there a "standard" way to run configure that should build a
completely static binary?

I know there's an -all-static flag for libtool.  Do I need to setup my
Makefile.am special to allow building static via configure?

[1] http://swish-e.org/Discussion/archive/2004-05/7497.html

Another message which seems related:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2002-07/msg00055.html

Thanks,