Re: TODO

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:24:25 +0000

Hi Peter,

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to get some possibilities out there into the ether. Feel
> free to add more bits/say which bits are silly.

Jolly good. ;-)  When this thread dries up, can you summarise it back into
the TODO file in Libtool please?

> Post 2.0:

-2. Sort out the macro mess in libtool.m4.  We've started this already
    by refactoring chunks into separate files, but I never did completely
    untangle the mess of macros imported from ltconfig.

-1. Finish the rewrite of the core libltdl.  The loaders are fine, and
    the outlying code is now good.  Ralf is starting to pick away at a lot
    of the remaining nasties already, but the code for finding .la/.so files
    and reading/loading them could use a lot more improvement.

0.  I think we could factor out a little path management support module
    from existing libltdl.  This would be useful for M4 at least -- keeping
    track of FOO_PATH environment contents, searching for files in paths
    etc.

> 1. Generate a libtool.m4 from a bunch of individual file, one per
> platform, to make the job of a "platform maintainer" easier and make it
> easier to add new platforms.

Seems like a good idea, but I think it will prove difficult in practice --
unless we redo the way we have written all the macros.

I think that it is a good enough idea to be worth discussing some more
though.  How do you envision the architecture for parsing and using the
platform chunks?

> 2. Generate some "platform specific" shell functions with config.status,
> for example, there is no need to have the C source code for the wrapper
> script on non-windows platforms, this will make the generated libtool
> script smaller and easier to follow, maybe a little faster too?

Sounds good!

> 3. Try and recruit some people to translate the docs?

I think there is already a GNU translation project to take care of that.
We just need to figure out what the process is :-)

3.5.  While we are there, maybe internationalise libltdl?

> 4. Fix threads.

Oh yeah!

> 5. Think about speed, compile mode needs to be as fast as possible, can
> it be faster than it is?

6.  Absorb the functionality of the aberration called pkg-config.  Libtool
    already has all the information it needs, we just need to teach it (or
    maybe a subsidiary script) to spit out link flags after poking around
    in a dependency chain of .la files.

7.  Similarly, there is no reason for gettext's config.rpath to exist, we
    should figure out why Bruno (Haible) wrote it, and give him access to
    what he needs from Libtool itself.

8.  Fix the stupidity with -static/-all-static choosing static files based
    on .la file presence.

9.  Cross compilation test cases.

Cheers,
        Gary.