Re: TODO

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:47:42 +0000

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:25 +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> > Well, I haven't thought about it really, I was vaguely imagining running
> > a perl script during bootstrap which would take the bits and pieces and
> > put them all together. I am told that xslt could do this too. The point
> > being that we'd end up with the same (more or less) libtool.m4 as we
> > have now, it would just be a heck of a lot easier to find the bits and
> > pieces related to specific platforms, and would leave the platform
> > independent stuff in a single file.
>
> Gah, perl?  Blech.  XML?  Bah!  Choke...

This does seem rather over-the-top to me ...  the only thing worse I can
think of would be using lisp for anything other than scaring comp-sci
students with.

> I think that porting ltmain to C or a byte-compiled language of some sort
> is definitely a win all round, so we can probably come up with an
> implementation in whatever language ltmain gets rewritten in eventually.

The trouble is that you need to either compile ltmain on every platform,
or have an interpreter handy.  I guess there could be a magic
Automake-shimmy to make every binary depend on "libtool", which can be
compiled in-place in the source a bit like libintl.

This scares me more than the shell script :p

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?