Re: How to configure libtool so that it doesn't run some tests ?

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: How to configure libtool so that it doesn't run some tests ?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:36:00 -0700

* Patrick PĂ©lissier wrote on Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:03:32PM CET:
> How to configure libtool so that it doesn't run C++ / Fortran tests if
> the library is a C library, and so doesn't need a C++ / fortran
> compiler?  The project uses the other autotools and is a C library. I
> haven't found this in the documentation.

Sorry for dredging up an old question, but recently I was looking for the same answer myself. This will probably make the libtool maintainers cringe, but I've added this to our configure.in (using libtool 1.5.18) to disable the extraneous language tests. (Put this somewhere before the AC_PROG_LIBTOOL invocation.)

dnl Disable libtool 1.5 support for languages we don't use
define([AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_CXX_CONFIG], [:])dnl
define([AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_F77_CONFIG], [:])dnl
define([AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_GCJ_CONFIG], [:])dnl

It shaves 12000 lines from our configure script and completes faster as well (which is a real godsend on some of the ultra slow dev systems we port to).

--
  -- Howard Chu