Re: libtool stdout output format

From: Robert Ögren
Subject: Re: libtool stdout output format
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:11:32 +0200

Hi Ralf and others,

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
As of now, the output format -- "whatever libtool prints on stdout" --
is different between the 1.5 releases and CVS HEAD.  The latter
prepends a string like
libtool: $mode: where mode is either `compile', `link', or similar.

This output has never been formally specified, neither is it completely
uniform (which most likely is a bug in itself), also the demand to be
able to turn it off ("--quiet --quiet") has not been implemented yet.

But: there exist client packages which attempt to "parse" this
output.  libtool-cache does it, OpenMPI does it, to name but two.
When we release with this prefix string, they will have to adapt (if
they haven't already).

I haven't released an updated version of libtool-cache yet, but that is because I wanted to wait for the release of Libtool 2.0. A simple patch for this issue is available from the SourceForge project page.

[snip]
Note that adding a command line option to turn it off would still
break compatibility with 1.5.x; OTOH, piping output through
  sed 's,^libtool: link: ,,'
or similar is not very complicated at all, and is in fact what
libtool-cache does, I believe.

Yes, that is correct. The exact line is currently

$l =~ s/^libtool.orig: ((compile|link): *)?//;

because libtool-cache renames the original Libtool script.

Regards,
Robert