Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: 09 Sep 2005 15:15:33 -0300

On Sep  8, 2005, Howard Chu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> Well, that behavior would be fine to me (and it would mean no changes to
>> the code, which is good!), but would not match our current
>> documentation:
>> | @item -static
>> | If @var{output-file} is a program, then do not link it against any
>> | uninstalled shared libtool libraries.  If @var{output-file} is a
>> | library, then only create a static library.
>> AFAICS this has always been part of the documentation.

> Indeed. And in libtool 1.4 (at least versions 1.4.2 and 1.4.3) the
> behavior matched the documentation.

Yuck.  I didn't know that.  I guess I'll have to take that back, and
agree it is a regression.

>>> If you want to link with static versions of uninstalled libraries,
>>> that's relatively easy to accomplish: create a static-only version of
>>> such libraries, with different names, perhaps even as convenience
>>> archives, and link with them.  Then you won't have to use -static for
>>> linking, and this will take care of getting the shared version of
>>> libdb linked in.

> Tell me there's a libtool switch that does this for me and I may be OK
> with it.

To create the convenienec archive, do exactly as you say below and
you'll get a convenience archive only.  As long as you don't add a
`-rpath' argument, that is.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   address@hidden, gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  address@hidden, gnu.org}