Re: Fix variables_saved_for_relink / LD_LIBRARY_PATH with libtool wrappe

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Fix variables_saved_for_relink / LD_LIBRARY_PATH with libtool wrapped files
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:41:09 -0500

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 17:19, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 07:40:19PM CET:
> > OK to apply to branch-1-5 and forward-port?
>
> Applied to branch-1-5 and HEAD, the forward-port is below.
>
>       * libltdl/m4/libtool.m4 (_LT_LINKER_SHLIBS): Move setting of
>       `variables_saved_for_relink'..
>       (_LT_SYS_DYNAMIC_LINKER): here, when both `shlibpath_var'
>       and `runpath_var' have been set.
>       Reported by Mike Frysinger <address@hidden>.

since 1.5.22 was released i was going through the patches we use with 1.5.20
to cut out all the unneeded stuff when i came to this issue ... seems there
was a bit of confusion as to what i was trying to report ...

my issue dealt with executing programs that had not yet been installed (thus
no relinking) ... when i tested 1.5.22 and the test case i posted, it still
fails :/

the simplified test case:
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/file-4.12.tar.gz
tar zxf file-4.12.tar.gz
cd file-4.12
./configure
make
cd ..
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/file-4.16.tar.gz
tar zxf file-4.16.tar.gz
cd file-4.16
./configure
make
cd magic
make clean
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../../file-4.12/src/.libs make

here it will fail because when the code in the magic subdir attempts to
execute ../src/file, it will load up the libmagic from the 4.12 dir instead
of the 4.16 dir

so the question was, since libtool already goes through lengths to make sure
the local files are used (via ELF RUNPATH tags), wouldnt adding additional
logic for LD_LIBRARY_PATH make sense ?

patch:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-09/txt41NJtyNbEM.txt
original post: