Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies

From: Magnus Lie Hetland
Subject: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:45 +0100

I'm writing a C++ library along with a wrapper for Python (generated by SWIG), and I'm using Autotools for building it all. The way I build it, I have one core library, of the form, and one wrapper library, The library (or, rather, or the like) will be dynamically loaded into the Python interpreter.

This seems to work nicely ... mostly. But the problem is that I write my test suite in Python, so I need to dynamically load before installing, and that doesn't seem to be altogether straightforward. The problem is (as I'm sure you already understand) that refers to the file -- but at the -rpath location.

I see that Libtool goes to great lengths to have things work before installing -- but I haven't been able to make it do what I need. The automatic relinking of executables, for example, doesn't apply. I had some hopes when I discovered the --enable-fast-install=no option, but that didn't do anything either, as far as I can see. When I came across the following quote in the manual, I was rather discouraged: "In the current implementation, libtool libraries may not depend on other uninstalled libtool libraries."

Does this mean that I can't do what I'm trying to do -- that is, that there is no switch or mechanism in Autotools (or, more specifically, Libtool) that will make it work?

If so, what would be the "best" approach to get a similar effect? I can see a couple of possibilities, at least:

  - Statically link with, so there is no dependency
    (but a *slight* bloat :)

- Do some Automake magic (or just add some instructions to the README file, though that would break distcheck) to run configure and install in a
    sandbox before testing (rather cumbersome)

Any other suggestions or input?

Magnus Lie Hetland