Libtool release plan (was: Libtool apparantly removing path parameters o

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Libtool release plan (was: Libtool apparantly removing path parameters on FreeBSD)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:52:44 +0200

Hi Olly,

* Olly Betts wrote on Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:38:08PM CEST:
> On 2006-05-10, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > - there was actually a regression in 1.5.22 over 1.5.20 which caused
> >   some paths to be incorrectly removed on FreeBSD and some other BSD
> >   variants.  Has since been fixed in CVS branch-1-5 (and HEAD).
>
> Is there likely to be a 1.5.24 release soon?

Oh dear.  Don't ask about my original plans.  They were something like
this: have Autoconf-2.60 in March, then Libtool-1.5.24 soon after that,
then Libtool-2.0 soon after that.  :-/

I know Libtool-1.5.24 is important to get out, due to the regressions I
put in 1.5.22.  And it will be my primary focus once Autoconf-2.60 is
done.  However, there are some other systems that need fixes, HP-UX
being one of them; and a few more patches which have queued up since.

As I don't like to plan on an 1.5.26 (at least not before releasing
1.5.24), I would like to have at least all the currently-known serious
stuff in 1.5.24, so that then we can finally concentrate on 2.0 again.
:-/

The good thing being that I expect Autoconf-2.60 to be done this month.

> I've just spent a while trying to extract that patch from CVS to see if
> it fixed so odd build issues I've been seeing on some of the BSDs, but
> it appears to be impossible to do without a very recent CVS which allows
> you to diff between two dates on a branch (1.12.12.1 can, but 1.12.9
> can't and that's the version in debian unstable!)  I'm not especially
> keen to install CVS from source just to extract a patch!

The two regressions:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2006-03/msg00007.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2006-03/msg00006.html

Another important patch (for DragonFly):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2006-03/msg00027.html

> I can probably track the patch down on the libtool patches list (and
> hope that the latest version posted was close to that applied) but I
> noticed from the ChangeLog that there are a number of other fixes which
> sound useful,

Definitely.

> and that it's been longer since 1.5.22 than between other
> recent releases, so I was wondering if a release was imminent.

Well, the longer delay has been due to me working primarily on Autoconf,
and few people working on Libtool meanwhile.  I know this isn't good,
and to some extent it may not have been a good idea in hindsight, but
OTOH Autoconf users have been waiting almost 3 years for a new release,
and some pretty desperately.

Cheers,
Ralf