Re: questions about DLLs built with libtool - multiple output files...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: questions about DLLs built with libtool - multiple output files...
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:05:28 -0600

Brian Dessent <address@hidden> writes:

>> Also, I seem to recall reading that it was possible to generate dlls
>> which either did or did not depend on the cygwin dll being present on
>> the machine. True?
>
> It is possible, but it's not quite that simple.  There are essentially
> two separate toolchains: cygwin and mingw.  Cygwin implements its own C
> library and POSIX emulation layer (cygwin1.dll), whereas mingw targets
> the existing Microsoft-provided C library (MSVCRT.DLL) and provides
> essentially zero compatibility/emulation layering.

<snip>

> Cygwin's gcc provides the necessary framework for using both toolchains
> at once, via the -mno-cygwin switch, which is what you are probably
> referring to.  So it is true that under Cygwin you can create a DLL that
> does not depend on cygwin1.dll by simply using -mno-cygwin.  However, it
> does not just magically remove this dependancy, it switches the compiler
> to a very different toolchain, with an associated set of issues as
> explained above.  This means it's not a magic bullet that can just
> surgically remove Cygwin without any other changes.

Brian,

Is there something special I need to do to make it use the ming
compilers, in addition to the cross-compile stuff?

I am trying it like this:

 ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin CC="gcc
 -no-cygwin"

But when searching for a compiler, it tells me this:

checking for i686-pc-mingw32-xlc... gcc -no-cygwin

What is this i686-pc-mingw32-xlc business?

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden