Re: HP-UX "module" linking problem

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: HP-UX "module" linking problem
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:53:26 +0200

Hello Albert, Kent,

* Albert Chin wrote on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:58:59PM CEST:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:11:36AM +0200, Kent Boortz wrote:
> > Albert Chin <address@hidden> writes:
> > <snip>
> > > So, in both cases, libz is not on the command-line used to create the
> > > shared library.
> >
> > Yes, what I meant was that I took the "cc...." line libtool expand to,
> > inserted "-lmysqlclient" and tried link it manually. and it worked.
> > Making me beleive it is a libtool problem.
>
> Well, I suppose you could argue libtool should exit(1) rather than
> stripping libraries from the command-line in this case.

I think it shouldn't.  Libtool is acting as it states and putting the
dependency in $dependency_libs in the .la file.

If we allow installing PIC archives (== installing convenience archives)
then we can just wait for the day that someone comes and complains that
this broke their program because he used a symbol from some completely
unrelated library.  (Imagine third-party shared libfoo containing code
from your libmysqlclient that's both three years old, outdated, security
bug ridden, and noone notices, but fourth-party program bar happened to
link against that one before linking against a shared libmysqlclient.)

> > Looking inside the "libtool" command and Googling a bit more, I found
> > an ugly way around this. After generating the "configure" script, I
> > change it to say
> >
> >   hpux10.20* | hpux11*)
> >     lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all
> >
> > This makes it let "-lmysqlclient" pass on, I found no way to force
> > this using any command line flag.
>
> Correct. Some systems like AIX and Tru64 UNIX generate PIC for all
> object files.

Maybe this is a plan to kill pass_all on some more systems: allow a link
flag that enables lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=test_compile, after
spitting out some long warning.  Then at least we can be a little more
sure that we don't create fully broken libraries; and Kent's case would
work (as its archive contains PIC code).  Not sure though.

Cheers,
Ralf