Re: using packages that use libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: using packages that use libtool
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:41:40 +0100

Hello Bob,

I must have missed this one, sorry about that.

* Bob Rossi wrote on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 11:14:49PM CET:

> I'm new to libtool obviously. Could you point me to a place in the
> manual that describes how a package can use a library from another
> packages that uses libtool.

Just -L$HOME/expat/prefixdir/lib -lexpat should do at link time, if the
library has no dependencies itself.  Most systems allow also adding
plain $HOME/expat/prefixdir/lib/libexpat.a to ensure the static library
is used.

The needed action at run time for linking against shared libraries is
described by the output of `libtool --mode=finish' when installing the
linked-to library.  Typically something like adding
$HOME/expat/prefixdir/lib/../bin to $PATH in your case, so that the DLL
is found at run time.

> My package is not using libtool. Can I link to the expat library?

Sure, see above.

> Or do I also need to use libtool?

That will also help in the case where the library has dependencies
itself.  Without libtool, you have to take care of them yourself.

Cheers,
Ralf