My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"

From: bapluda
Subject: My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:08:21 -0800 (PST)

I was installing 2 packages that use libtool:
The first one I had to hack the Makefile. It was complaining about a library
that WAS there and it said it wasn't.

The second one I don't know what to hack, I have this error:
address@hidden:~/temp/rcssserver-11.1.2/src> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX
--mode=link g++ -W -Wall -I./src -g -O2 -pthread  -L/home/mysql/robocup/lib
-L/home/mysql/boost/lib -o rcssserver hetroplayer.o main.o field.o netif.o
object.o xmlreader.o landmarkreader.o coach.o bodysensor.o player.o
monitor.o audio.o serializer.o serializerplayerstdv1.o
serializerplayerstdv7.o serializerplayerstdv8.o serializercoachstdv1.o
serializercoachstdv7.o serializercoachstdv8.o serializeronlinecoachstdv1.o
serializeronlinecoachstdv6.o serializeronlinecoachstdv7.o
serializeronlinecoachstdv8.o serializercommonstdv1.o serializercommonstdv7.o
serializercommonstdv8.o referee.o visual.o bodysender.o fullstatesender.o
initsender.o libimports.o   -lrcsstimer -lrcssclangparser -lrcsspcomparser
-lrcssresultsaver -lrcssplayerparam -lrcssserverparam -lrcssutil
-lrcssconfparser -lrcsslib -lrcsserror -lrcssnet -lrcssgz -lrcssbase
-lboost_filesystem -lz -lm   -ldl
libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
was moved.
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la' or
unhandled argument `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la'

again the bloody `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la' is in place. And
why the heck is it searching for `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la' if that
directory doesn't exist and I didn't specify that anywhere?

Really it makes me wonder if this multiplaform building isn't just a cliche,
and it's worse than just making programmers provide a separate package for
each platform.