From: Roebe XXX
Subject: >> My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:11:18 +0100

> Really it makes me wonder if this multiplaform building isn't just a cliche,
> and it's worse than just making programmers provide a separate package for
> each platform.

I totally understand your opinion and I must admit I am in the camp of
these to say that I find... that libtool seems to ... complicate issues
sometimes. :-)

In a way I'd actually love to see libtool and pkg-config join forces
so that a user only needs "both" of them, and thus only one of these.
The .la files approach would be better tied together with what
info a .pc file offers (I mention pkg-config here, because normally
pkg-config gives me less problems as I just dump all my .pc files into
one dir, whereas the .la files are scattered right next to the
various .so files. pkg-config probably does less than libtool
but I am mostly talking from a biased user opinion here)

There however is one great advantage libtool actually has - this is
helpful people. :-)

Props to them for being able to maintain such a big shell script!

=