Re: mingw install directory for shared lib

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: mingw install directory for shared lib
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:53:24 +0100

Hello Bob,

* Bob Rossi wrote on Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:18:56PM CET:
>   plugindir = $(libdir)/plugins
>   plugin_LTLIBRARIES =
>   plugin_LTLIBRARIES +=
>   libfoo_la_SOURCES =
>   libfoo_la_LDFLAGS = "-no-undefined"
> Now when I do 'make install' with --prefix=install I see this,
> on linux, I get install/lib/plugins/
> on windows, I get install/lib/bin/libfoo-0.dll
> Any idea why the dll isn't going into the plugins dir and why
> it is going into lib/bin?

I'd say that's a bug.  Thanks for the report.

It comes from the normal libdir libraries going into $libdir but the
DLL into $libdir/../bin so that they are found automatically by the
programs that are in $bindir.  Obviously there are a few assumptions
present here, namely that bindir is libdir/../bin, and that you don't
do such reasonable things as above.  ;-)

General question before fixing this: on w32, should even plugins have
their DLLs go to $bindir?