Re: GNU Libtool 2.1b released (alpha release)

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.1b released (alpha release)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:11:59 +0800

Hi Bob,

On 1 Feb 2008, at 15:25, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
Aha! I get the same error if I undo that patch in my GraphicsMagick working copy, run bootstrap with libtoolize (2.1b). I'll see if I can figure out why I get this:

 $ grep argz.lo Makefile
 ltdl_LTLIBOBJS =  argz.lo

Instead of this:

 $ grep argz.lo Makefile
 ltdl_LTLIBOBJS =  ltdl/argz.lo

Okay, I've figured it out.

The new libtoolize figured out that you want a nonrecursive libltdl because your
bootstrap script runs:

  libtoolize --verbose --copy --force --nonrecursive --ltdl=ltdl

But at configure time, the expansion of this code which is required to set the lt_libojb_prefix that puts the "ltdl/" in front of "argz.lo" can't tell that it
is running in nonrecursive mode:

# _LTDL_MODE_DISPATCH
# -------------------
m4_define([_LTDL_MODE_DISPATCH],
[dnl If _LTDL_DIR is `.', then we are configuring libltdl itself:
m4_if(_LTDL_DIR, [],
        [],
dnl if _LTDL_MODE was not set already, the default value is `subproject':
    [m4_case(m4_default(_LTDL_MODE, [subproject]),
          [subproject], [AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(_LTDL_DIR)
_LT_SHELL_INIT([lt_dlopen_dir="$lt_ltdl_dir"])], [nonrecursive], [_LT_SHELL_INIT([lt_dlopen_dir="$lt_ltdl_dir"; lt_libobj_prefix="$lt_ltdl_dir/"])],
          [recursive], [],
        [m4_fatal([unknown libltdl mode: ]_LTDL_MODE)])])dnl
dnl Be careful not to expand twice:
m4_define([$0], [])
])# _LTDL_MODE_DISPATCH

And that's because the 2.1b interface is to declare the libltdl mode as an argument to LTDL_INIT. For quite a while the CVS builds required that the libltdl mode be declared as a second argument to LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR as you have in your unpatched configure.ac. The documentation reflects the state
of the 2.1b release.

So, in effect, the patch I attached to my last message is the correct fix
for the error you were seeing.

Do you think we should put undocumented support for the temporary interface
we had for a while back in for the next alpha? (a serious question)

Cheers,
        Gary
--
  ())_.              Email me: address@hidden