Re: Compiling into chroot

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: Compiling into chroot
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:04:27 +0300

On 6/12/08, Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
>  The libltdl code doesn't know if it is executed in a chrooted environment.
> The FAKEROOT option can be used for purposes other than cross-compile so it
> can be expected that if the build is not a cross-compile then libltdl needs
> to be able to work (to support testing), and therefore needs to respect
> FAKEROOT.

If you prepare chroot environment, you don't expect it to work without
chroot into it first!
You cannot eliminate a cross-compile solution only because you cannot
test it on build machine. All tools work great in doing cross compile
(including libtool), the only missing functionality is for libtool to
create valid chroot environment.

>  Besides cross compile, a use of a chrooted environment is to detect use of
> files which are not currently resident in that environment.  It is a
> poor-man's way to decide if the build is likely to work on someone else's
> machine without testing on another machine.

Which file is missing? I don't follow you.

>  DESTDIR users may also have a desire to "fix up" the .la files but without
> desire for the FAKEROOT features.

No... DESTDIR just tells to install into other location, without any
change or fixup.

>  It seems that there are many descriptions of this elephant.

I think you going to differnet place than creating a valid environment
for chroot.

Thanks,
Alon.