Re: Compiling into chroot

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: Compiling into chroot
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:15:28 +0200

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Alon Bar-Lev <address@hidden> wrote:
> Building packages into chroot is more and more common, live-cd,
> live-usb, initramfs, embedded, vservers etc...
>
> A lot of packages use libtool, so using the standard gnu build for
> chroot environment, in order to build packages without change in the
> package is important.
> ./configure --prefix=/
> make install DESTDIR=/tmp/myroot
>
> As far as I know libtool is the only tool that needs fixups or
> workaround.

I've never gotten around to actually doing this, but I wonder if
inverting the "standard-ness" of paths could help.  You could set up a
chroot environment that you use for building, where you have your
*build* tools (compiler, linker, etc.) as /unexpected/location/bin/gcc
etc., and install directly (without DESTDIR) into the "root" directory
which has the sticky flag (like /tmp).  It would mean that you never
test proper DESTDIR support though.