Re: .lai files

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: .lai files
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:08:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Patrick Welche wrote:

I'm trying to debug the libsasl make install error:

libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsasldb.lai
/usr/local/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.la
install: .libs/libsasldb.lai: stat: No such file or directory

but I can't seem to find any documentation on where/when a .lai is created.
(Just a reference in autobook)

My guess is that it may have to do with plugins/Makefile.am:

libsasldb_la_LIBADD = ../sasldb/libsasldb.la $(SASL_DB_LIB) $(COMPAT_OBJS)

libsasldb.la being built in a neighbouring directory.

Have you any hints on where to look?

Libtool writes many files to a hidden '.libs' directory. Since the .lai file does not exist, perhaps there is an ordering error in your makefile?

Automake is a powerful tool, but there are some things it just does not handle completely. One of those things is library build and install order.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn